Wednesday 10 May 2017

Typography / Font Styles

Introduction

Typography and font types are the art of lettering based on the style and size. It conveys how it can change how a title sequence looks like. In addition, the font fits the genre specifically of what has to be shown.

Examples Of typography used in different music genres

 Kerrang
This example of a font style works very well at following the conventions of the sub-genre of the magazine, which is metal. The use of bold letters in block capitals is a very strong and almost dominant use of a font. As the connotations of the font are anger and boldness, which are both already, connotations of the rock genre.




Bill Board
As billboard is a magazine that focus is on music in the charts and the charts is largely dominated by pop music, it means that billboard have to target there audiences and use the conventions of a pop magazine. The use of a light, curvy, gentle font will appeal to the female audience of a pop magazine as this light gentle style is something used regularly throughout pop compared to something darker and rougher, which is more, associated with rock.



Vibe

Vibe magazine is a Hip-hop magazine.  The use of bold letters work with connotation and conventions of the boldness of hip-hop music. In addition, the use of purple text over a more traditional white or black text work very well as portraying the conventions of a hip-hop magazine. As these colours stand out and are considered to be out of the norm and expresses individuality the same way hip-hop music does so. 




Examples of typography in the Rock/Metal genre

Classic Rock

This use of font styles is very conventional to its magazines sub-genre, which is classic rock. The font type used looks like it would be used during the 80’s. Which is obviously a connotation of classic rock.  It is the thickness and curviness of the letters that connote the 80’s rock scene. Also, that fact that the sentence is written in italics is also a commonly known convention of 80’s rock as it is made to stand out and be different the same way the music at the time was meant to be. 

Rock Sound


The use of a distorted, grainy font is extremely conventional for a Metal magazine. The distortion of the font reflects a common sound effect used regularly on instruments during metal music. The graininess of the font suggests emotions of anger and enragement, which are common emotions and themes associated with the metal genre. However, something, conventional about this example of typography is the use of bright yellow. As Metal music has a darker heavier tone to its sound it would make more conventional sense to use a darker colour to reflect the sound of the music and by using a bright colour instead does not correctly represent the genre of music.






Font Types I plan to use.

The first font I plan to use during my production is ‘Road Rage’ by Youssef Habchi. The Reason I have chosen to use this font is that atmosphere that this font creates is very much the same the Metal and Rock do. For starters, the broad messy strokes connote the feelings of anger and distress. These feelings are also regularly associated with the Metal / Hard Rock genre. Secondly, I feel like the dash underneath the word ‘Rage’ could help me to distinguish parts of an article. Because of that factor, I have decided to use Road Rage as the masthead and the headings of my magazine. The reason to why I am using it for both my heading and masthead is that with the continuous use of this font I will be able to establish a ongoing house style.
 
The next font I plant to use is called Bebas and is by .Ryoichi Tsunekawa The reason to why I have chosen to use this font throughout my magazine is that I feel like this font is very bold and will convey the emotions of boldness regularly portrayed through rock music. Another reason to why I have chosen to use this font is that although it is bold it will not attract more attention than the headings. I plan to use this font as my body text within my article and my contents page. This will also allow me to establish a house style by using this font continuously.

The last font I plan to use is South Gardens by Billy Argel. I decided to use this font as I have gained inspiration from the way Classic Rock magazine has used it before. As said before I feel like the use of thickness and curviness of the font is a representation of classic rock music. I will use this Font for sub-headings as I feel like it will drag attention to the body text underneath it.

No comments:

Post a Comment